So, you have finally made your mind to migrate to Australia! Great. The first thing you would want to know is where do you fit-in in the wide categories of visas available. I have put this post together to give you a glimpse of options you have. Read on:

There are two pathways for Australia visa:

  1. Point test based
  2. Nonpoint test based

Points tested visas are those who would want to work in Australia. And nonpoints test based are those visas that are of employer or state nominated, caregiver, humanitarian or refugee, child or parent visas.

For points test based visas you have to go through these steps:

  1. Skills Assessment: Where you get your skills and competencies assessed by an authorised assessing agency. You need to nominate the skills in the SkillSelect ( an online immigration programme by DIBP-Department of Immigration and Border Protection of Australia) and you will be guided to the relevant assessing agency’s details.
  2. Expression of Interest: You need to submit your EOI along with your skills assessment report and other details of your education, English language proficiency, age, spouse details etc.
  3. State/ employer nomination: Interested state or employer can show interest in your EOI and nominate you. The nomination is always a sure shot way of getting an Australian visa.
  4. Visa application on Invitation: You apply for a relevant visa along with all the required documents within 60 days of receiving an invitation from the DIBP.


Australia Visas for you:

  • Visas under Skilled Migration
  • Visas under Business and investment
  • Visas under Family Migration
  • Student Visas
  • Work Visas
  • Visitor Visas
  • Working Holiday Visa

Skilled Migration Visas: Skilled migration visas are for those who wish to work in Australia. You have to nominate the occupation from the list of occupations provided by DIBP. The DIBP provides a list of those occupations which are highly demanded by Australian economy. This occupation list changes every year with additions and deletions of occupations depending on the current demand for skilled employable people.

Business and investment Visas: If you are an experienced business person or a high net worth individual looking for expanding your business venture or looking for investing in potential businesses, you can apply for business and investment visas.

Family Visas: If you are joining your family or bringing your family to Australia, there are suitable visas.

Spouse visa, parent visa, child visa,

Aged dependent visa, carer visa, last remaining relative visa, orphan relative visa and others.

Student Visas: Education is one of the thriving fields in Australia with many international students coming to here every year. Australia invests a lot in its education system and that shows how overseas students flock to apply to Australian universities. Apply for a student visa to come to study in Australia and after the studies, you can apply for a post-study work visa to be able to work here.

Work Visas: Temporary skill shortage visa is a temporary visa for employable workers. It is sponsored by employers to bring talented professionals to Australia to meet their business requirements. This visa is issued for 2 –4 years on a temporary basis.

Visitor Visas: If you only wish to visit Australia for a short trip for a personal or business purpose, you can apply for appropriate visitor visa. It is issued for a period of 3,6 or 12 months.

Working Holiday Visa: This visa allows visitors to work in Australia for a year while they are vacationing in Australia. This visa is issued only to those people who have passports of permitted countries to travel to Australia for work and visit.

As of now, Nepal is not among the permitted countries for WHV visa.

The above-mentioned visas are some of the categories you can choose to apply for depending on your purpose and situation.

After 4 years of holding a temporary visa, you can apply for permanent residency in Australia. The PR status in Australia lets you stay, work, study and travel in the country for an indefinite time. That is on a permanent basis, as long as you wish. It is not citizenship though! a PR in Australia does not have voting rights and access to some of the state-run facilities. But otherwise, almost every migrant who comes to Australia for work or study stays back to become a permanent resident. No guesses there! It is very common here.

The immigration policies and the occupation lists are ever changing. You need to keep yourself updated with these details to have a hassle-free migration.


Australian standards of living are quite high. So, as a newbie, we feel it is expensive. However, once you get to know your surrounding areas and figure out the inexpensive places to eat, hang out and buy your groceries and personal things, it will be easy to keep up the budget. On the other hand, you will get handsome salaries to live comfortably.

It is always a good idea to stay in a suburb than in a city like Melbourne or Sydney. Also, keep the work/study place and home as nearby as possible to save on travel expenses.

Share your views, stories or suggestions on this post below.